Watch Hill Savory Holiday Strata
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Fresh herbs add flavor as well as color to this splendid dish. Watch Hill Bed and Breakfast, Center Harbor, New Hampshire
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 pound sausage (preferably homemade)
- 3 to 4 cups dried white bread, crust removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:Melt the butter in a 13x9-inch baking dish, tilting it so the butter coats the bottom. Brown the sausage in a skillet, drain thoroughly, and set aside.
Layer half of the bread cubes in the buttered baking dish and sprinkle with half of the basil, dill, chives, cheese, corn, and bell pepper. Then layer with the remaining bread cubes, basil, dill, chives, cheese, corn, and bell pepper. Sprinkle the sausage over all.
Beat the eggs, then add the milk, blending well. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the casserole.
At this point, you may bake it immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. If it has been refrigerated, let stand at room temperature 1/2 to 1 hour before you bake it.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour, then let set for 10 minutes before serving.