Watchtide's Lemon-Blueberry-Zucchini Bread

Yankee Plus Dec 2015

Watchtide’s Lemon-Blueberry-Zucchini Bread
Print Friendly

This zesty lemon-blueberry-zucchini bread comes to us from 1794 the Sea! in Searsport, Maine. This zesty bread is a hit with guests and freezes well, should you choose to make several loaves at one time.

Learn more and see how to make Lemon-Blueberry-Zucchini Bread.

Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your PhotoUpload Your Photo

• 4 eggs
  • 2 cups (or less) sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 2 cups unpeeled, coarsely grated zucchini, drained slightly
  • zest of 1 lemon, grated
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 3-1/2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup (or more) frozen Maine wild blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the eggs. Add the sugar and beat until well mixed. Add the oil and beat. Add the zucchini, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix well.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, soda, and baking powder and add to the wet ingredients, mixing well. Gently fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter into 2 greased and floured 5x9-inch loaf pans. Bake approximately 55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of one of the loaves comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool 10 minutes, then remove the loaves to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Updated Sunday, April 21st, 2002

Special 2 for 1 Holiday Sale

Send a one-year gift subscription of Yankee Magazine for only $17.99 and give a 2nd one-year gift subscription absolutely FREE. Plus, we will send you a FREE 2016 Scenes of New England Calendar (a $9.95 value)! BUY NOW!

Browse Similar Recipes

11 Responses to Watchtide’s Lemon-Blueberry-Zucchini Bread

1. MakinBread July 25, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Delicious! Made with fresh lemons and blueberries. I added a lemon glaze, made of powder sugar and lemon juice, to the bread after cooking. I love and make a lot of zucchini bread and this is hands down my favorite!

2. Pollylila August 30, 2013 at 10:15 am #

I was just looking for a recipe to use what was in season this week in our garden and came across a blueberry zucchini bread, made it and everyone thought it was good. A day or two later found this recipe with the lemon addition and wow! It’s really great! I will absolutely make this again, hmmmm, like right now.
    I knew Yankee Magazine would be a dependable source…they didn’t let me down.

3. SophieBlue March 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

Very tasty. I baked it in an oblong cake pan and finished with cream cheese frosting. Probably a little too moist for that treatment, but my knitting group liked it.

4. Jan July 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Really good. Nice and moist. I reduced sugar to 1 3/4 C. and substituted whole wheat flour for 1 and 1/2 C of unbleached flour.

5. Brenda McMillan August 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

I was looking for the calorie count for the recipe. I love this bread but have to watch my daily calories

• Brenda Darroch August 4, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Hi Brenda,
      Unfortunately, we don’t have calorie information for our recipes. There are several great sites out there that do provide calorie counts, though.

6. Sheila August 7, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

This recipe is AMAZING!!! I have been making it every other week. One for my family and I share the other!!!! yummy!

7. Lisa August 10, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

This was delicious. I made mini loaves. It made 5 mini loaves and several muffins.

8. Didi Adams August 11, 2014 at 10:29 am #

My family loves this bread! I substituted 1/2 cup of home made applesauce(with a little cinnamon & nutmeg added) for 1/2 the canola oil. It turned out great. I also used fresh blueberries that I dusted with a little four so they would not sink to the bottom of the loaf pan. Making 2 more loaves today….yum yum!

9. sorryy.. August 11, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

Delish but I cannot taste lemon at all..

10. Verna Wodtli October 26, 2015 at 1:51 am #

Because of health reasons in my family, I use Gluten/Free flour instead of regular flour, and use Splenda instead of sugar. Everyone has loved the breads and cannot tell the difference. I am 88 but I still love to bake.