White Bean and Tuna Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cans (61/2 ounces each) solid white tuna, drained
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Instructions:Put the red pepper into a saucepan, add water to cover, and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 minute. Drain and set aside. Flake the tuna into a large bowl. Add the beans, scallions, red pepper, and basil. Stir to blend, then sprinkle with lemon zest.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Boston or romaine lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups pitted black Greek or Italian olives, cut into quarters
Instructions:Using a pestle and small mortar, work the salt and garlic into a paste. Add the lemon juice and stir with the pestle until the salt is dissolved. Transfer the paste to a small bowl. Gradually add the oil, whisking constantly. Season with black pepper and whisk to blend.
Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss to coat. Serve on a bed of lettuce and top with black olives.