Total Time: 30
Yield: 1 loaf
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 3 cups traditional whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons (1-1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup dried potato flakes (or 3 tablespoons potato flour)
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Vegetable oil
Instructions:In a large bowl (or the bowl of a standing mixer with hook attachment), combine ingredients (except oil); then knead until dough is soft and smooth, about 10 minutes by hand, or 3 minutes in a mixer. Cover and let dough rise until volume doubles, 1 to 2 hours.
Oil an 8-1/2x4-1/2-inch loaf pan lightly. Deflate dough gently and knead once or twice, shaping it into an 8-inch-long log. Place into the prepared pan, seam side down. Cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise until volume doubles, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours.
Heat your oven to 350°. Bake bread about 30 minutes. Remove and tent with foil. Bake another 15 to 20 minutes until bread is golden brown and a thermometer reads 190 degrees. Let cool a few minutes; then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.