Wild Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 boxes of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice
- 6, 8. or 10 pieces of meaty chicken depending on size (skin ON)
- 1 large can diced pineapple in syrup
- 1 large can Lesure peas with liquid
- 1 can mushrooms, stems and pieces with liquid
- 1 small jar of pimentos
- 1/2 stick of butter cut into pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Pour rice from boxes into 13" x 9" casserole dish. Next, pour seasoning packets into rice and mix well. Arrange chicken evenly on top of rice (skin side up).
Pour entire can of pineapple and syrup over chicken. Pour entire can of peas with liquid over pineapple. Pour entire can of mushrooms with liquid over peas. Sprinkle pimento over the top of the food. Next, sprinkle butter pieces evenly over the top. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Check regularly
and bake until chicken is well done. Add water as needed to keep rice from sticking to pan. When the chicken is cooked, remove dish from oven. Place chicken on serving plates and stir the rice mixture well. Serve with biscuits or rolls.
Note: I once made this dish with skinless chicken but it wasn't nearly as good as when I made it with the skin on. The chicken drippings are important to the wonderfully delicious result of this flavor combination.