Wilted Dandelion Greens Salad
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 pound dandelion greens
- 2 slices good-quality white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
Instructions:1. Trim the dandelion greens and rinse thoroughly in a basin of cool water. Shake off the excess water and scatter them over absorbent paper.
2. Break the slices of bread into bite-size pieces. Scatter them over the bottom of a shallow pan, slide under the broiler, and toast on all sides. When nicely browned, remove the bread and transfer to a blender or processor. Whirl to create bread crumbs. Toss with the melted butter to coat. Tear the dandelion greens into bite-size pieces and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and mustard. Heat the oil and bacon fat in a large skillet until the bacon fat melts. Add the garlic and stir over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the dandelion greens and continue stirring over medium heat until the greens are wilted. Pour on the vinegar mixture and toss to combine. Divide among 4 salad plates and scatter the buttered bread crumbs over the top.