Wisconsin cheese soup
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- Wisconsin Cheese Soup
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, shredded (Regular Sharp
- Cheddar will do fine)
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:In a large heavy kettle, melt butter. Add carrots, celery, onion, red
Pepper and mushrooms; cook over medium heat until vegetables are
Crisp tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not
Brown. Stir in flour and cornstarch; cook, stirring constantly, about
3 minutes. Add broth and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.
Add milk, paprika, cayenne, and mustard. Stir in cheese gradually,
Stirring until cheese is melted. To avoid curdling, do not allow soup
to boil after cheese is added. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve piping hot.
Makes about 2 1/2 quarts soup.