Yankee Pot Roast
Total Time: 30
Yield: 8 servings
This version of Yankee Pot Roast was adapted from the recipe used at the Griswold Inn.
- 1 5-pound top round or chuck roast, tied with butcher's twine
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large white onion, diced medium
- 2 carrots, diced medium
- 6 celery ribs, diced medium
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup beef stock
Heat oven to 325°. Season meat with salt and pepper on all sides. In a Dutch oven over high setting, heat oil and sear roast on all sides. Remove roast and deglaze pan with red wine. Add vegetables and return roast to pan. Add stock and cover. Roast 3 to 4 hours, until tender. Remove from pan and untie. Tent with foil. With an immersion blender or in a food processor, purée vegetables and braising juices. Slice Yankee pot roast and serve with sauce on the side.