Yankee Stracotto (Italian Pot Roast)
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 40
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 4- to 6-pound chuck roast
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1 celery rib, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand or chopped, juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups red wine (inexpensive but hearty)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 to 3 baking potatoes, peeled, cubed into large chunks
- 1 bag carrots, peeled, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bag frozen pearl onions
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Pat the roast dry and season well with salt and pepper. Dust with flour on all sides. In a Dutch oven over high setting, heat oil and brown roast on all sides. Remove to a platter.
Add onions, carrot, and celery to pot (use additional oil if necessary), and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic, shallot, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary, and sauté 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, tomatoes' juices, and paste, and cook 1 minute. Add wine and beef broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer 4 to 5 minutes.
Adjust seasonings. Place meat and accumulated juices back in pot and cover. Roast in oven about 1 hour; then turn meat and add potatoes and carrots. Roast about 1 hour longer; then add pearl onions and return to oven for final 1/2 hour.
Serve roast with a simple green salad. Discard bay leaves and reserve vegetables (and any leftover roast) for ravioli.