Yvonne's Done-to-death Apple Bread
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chopped, pared, cored apples (about 3-4) (I used 5 Golden Delicious apples that had started to go a little past their best and it was divine)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to slow 325. Grease and flour two standard loaf pans (or use those mini loaf pans.)
2. Stir together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in medium sized bowl until well mixed.
3. Combine the flour, soda and cinnamon in another bowl and then then stir into the liquid ingredients until just evenly mixed. Stir in the apples and pecans. The mixture will be very thick and gloppy. Divide between the loaf pans.
4. Prepare the topping: combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small cup, and sprinkle over the loaves.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 325F / 170C for 1 hour and 10 minutes, approximately. Check it carefully with a tester inserted in center comes out CLEAN. Make sure it's done. Sometimes in my oven they take longer than the time specified. Make sure they are done. Nothing worse than raw middle.
Let the breads cool in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edges of the pans. Remove the breads from the pans to wire racks to cool.
The breads are heavenly if you eat them warm, and even better the second day. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store at room temperature.