Zesty Green Split Peas
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 cups green split peas, uncooked
- 8 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 Tbs black mustard seeds, ground or 1 tbs dry mustard
- 3 Tbs water
- 3 oz coconut, shredded and sweetened
- 1 dab soy margarine (optional)
- For garnish: Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Mix ground mustard powder in with water and allow to sit
- for 30 minutes.
Instructions:Bring split peas and water to a boil. Lower heat to
medium. Add bay leaves and tumeric. Simmer, covered,
until peas are done, 40 to 45 minutes. (When pressed
between the thumb and the index finger, they break
easily.) While simmering, uncover occasionally and stir,
adding a Tbs or so of hot water if the mixture sticks to
the bottom of the pan.
When cooked, remove and discard bay leaves. Add salt and
keep warm. Heat oil in a small, 6-inch skillet over
medium-low heat. Saute ginger root and jalapeno until
ginger is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add mustard
paste and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
Add coconut and stir several times. Remove from heat.
Pour over the pea mixture and stir. (I had to drain my
peas, because I still had lots of water in mine.) Let
stand covered for 15 minutes. Add a dab of soy margarine
if desired and garnish with cilantro.