Zucchini Cheese Casserole
Total Time: 40
Yield: 12-15 servings
This cozy dish is large enough to feed a crowd, and a great way to make use of all those extra zukes.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 medium-size zucchini, cut crosswise into
- 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- 2 pounds small-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350°. Set a large skillet over mediump-high heat and add butter. Add zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until just translucent, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove zucchini, and set aside.
Add oil to pan and return to medium-high heat; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onions are lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, stir together eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan, spinach, parsley, onion/garlic mixture, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
In 9x13-inch pan, layer ingredients like lasagna: a layer of tomato sauce, a layer of zucchini, a light sprinkling of breadcrumbs, a layer of cheese/spinach mixture, and a layer of mozzarella. Repeat, ending with a layer of sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes more.