Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 3 to 4 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 to 1 cup grated cheese for topping
Instructions:Prepare crust: Sprinkle grated zucchini with salt, toss, and let sit in a colander for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture with your hands or a dish towel (try to get the zucchini really dry). Combine the zucchini, eggs, flour, cheeses, and basil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture into a lightly oiled 10-inch round or 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the surface is dry and beginning to brown. Broil for 5 minutes, or until top is firm and lightly browned.
Remove from oven and spread with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.