South Shore Bar Pizza | Lynwood Cafe in Randolph, MA

South Shore Bar Pizza | Lynwood Cafe in Randolph, MA

lynwood bar pizza

Photo/Art by Aimee Seavey
A mushroom and onion bar pizza from Lynwood. Mmmm.

Meat-eaters like John often go for toppings like linguica (a Portuguese smoke cured pork sausage) or salami, and for those that like to live on the edge the menu also includes a Baked Bean Special. Considered a “love it or hate it” kind of pizza, it comes topped with Boston baked beans, onions, and salami. I didn’t order one, but another friendly patron did, and he let me snap a pic. That’s another thing about Lynwood — we weren’t there 5 minutes before he and his companion asked about my camera and offered up suggestions for other acceptable bar pizza spots.

lynwood baked bean special pizza

Photo/Art by Aimee Seavey
The Bean Special at Lynwood comes topped with Boston baked beans, onion, and salami. This guy was a fan.

Takeout orders at Lynwood are sandwiched between two paper plates and tucked into brown paper bags for the journey home, and leftovers (if there are any) get the same treatment. No cardboard boxes here. I know of a few spots beyond the South Shore mimicking the “bar pizza” style (City Slickers Cafe in Somerville is a Boston-area favorite of ours), but for many fans, only the “real deal” will do, and that often means a trip to Lynwood.

Are you a South Shore bar pizza fan? If not, which style of pizza is your favorite, and where’s the best spot for a slice?

Aimee Seavey

Author:

Aimee Seavey

Biography:

Assistant Editor Aimee Seavey is a staff writer for Yankee Magazine and assists in the development and promotion of content for YankeeMagazine.com through blogging and social media outlets.

Get a Free Trial Issue when you subscribe to Yankee Magazine

In this issue: 2015 Travel Guide to New England

• Best Bargains: 35 Don't-Miss Summer Savers
  • Where to Go: 120 Best Fairs, Festivals & Events
  • Best Dining: 90 Local Foodie Destinations

7 Responses to South Shore Bar Pizza | Lynwood Cafe in Randolph, MA

1. Valia August 2, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Fifty-five years ago started with Cape Cod Café pizza. Have been going to the Lynwood for forty-six years and it is definitely THE BEST!

Love the Bean Special, laced and well done, with chopped, raw onions in addition. Mushroom, onion and pepper is also another great choice. It’s even good cold for breakfast!

2. Dan September 5, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

Aimee, I loved the story and want to try the recipe you put in the magazine but I think someone took my issue. What month was that so I can try to find one? Can I find it online? I even ordered rimmed pans to give it a go but now no recipe.
    Thanks for any help.

• Aimee Seavey September 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

Hi Dan. Thanks so much! We never ran a recipe for bar pizza in Yankee, but the amazing and talented folks over at Cook’s Country (part of America’s Test Kitchen) developed a recipe for Lynwood-style bar pizza and it’s in their August/September 2014 issue! It’s on my list to try!

3. Dan September 12, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Aimee, thank you for restoring my sanity. I couldn’t believe that I lost an issue of Yankee that easily.
    I have the Cook’s Country issue in my hands and the story written by Christin Walsh is equally enticing as yours.
    I think I will attempt the home recipe first, then take a ride to The Lynwood for comparison.
    Thanks again and keep me longing for another great find and story.
    Great work.

4. melissa October 1, 2014 at 8:49 am #

I grew up in Middleborough, MA on S.Shore and we have so many good bar pizza places. The Central Cafe, The Hideaway and the Royal are just a few. Also Middleborough House of Pizza is not a bar but same style and so good. I live in Central FL now and this is one of the things I miss the most!

5. Paul October 4, 2014 at 5:56 am #

BBC makes a decent bar pizza. Middleboro may have decent bar pizza, but it isn’t part of the South Shore.

6. Dave H. October 25, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

I’ve tried them all, The Central Cafe in Middleboro is by far the best.

Crunchy with a chew – mellowy flavored crust that contains some secret ingredients that I haven’t been able to duplicate.

The linguica ground up into small piles of flavor that releases an explosion of moist meat in your mouth when you bite into it. Of course the slightly sweet sauce and a mixture of cheesiness splatter painted onto the edge of the golden crust just teasing you to not leave a crumb behind.

40 years ago; One would have to dodge around bar room brawls – deafeningly loud talking – couples sneaking into the ladies restroom for guess whats – all to get at a Cold Beer n “Pizzah” – a one size pie with a golden crusted slice of heaven. Hmmm, I can taste it now.

(live in CA now, but bring back as many as possible when I visit.)