Crafts | Create a Drawer Knob Shelf
TABLE OF CONTENTS
As August comes to an end I realize I have spent the summer enjoying the beautiful weather and thus ignoring the state of our house (where did all this clutter come from?). I am now slowly, but surely, coming back to reality that I need to get more organized. Making a drawer knob shelf — or two or three — seemed like a great start.
A drawer knob shelf can be created by adding small drawer knobs to a pre-existing shelf or to a painted piece of wood. The knobs provide a convenient place to hang items like jewelry, potholders, aprons, hand towels, and keys.
For the shelf in the kitchen I chose a plain wood shelf. I painted it turquoise to contrast against the red paint on the walls. I purchased a few wooden drawer knobs and painted them red. The shelf provides the perfect spot to display this vintage children’s bowling set as well as hang some items.
For the next shelf I painted a small board and added an eclectic mix of knobs I purchased. I use this one for organizing necklaces.
The last shelf is hung in the bathroom.
Materials to Make a Drawer Knob Shelf
- A pre-made wooden shelf or a wooden board
- Paint and paintbrush
- Drawer knobs of your choice
- Screws and/or hangers depending on your shelf
Directions to Make a Drawer Knob Shelf
- Paint the shelf the desired color and allow to dry.
- Measure the back of the shelf and make pencil marks where you want the knobs to be placed.
- Drill pilot holes where the knobs will be attached. Of note– if you made your shelf with a board you will need to use a dremel to pre-drill holes that are set in the shelf. Otherwise, the screw heads will stick out of the wood and the back of the shelf will not sit flat against the wall– I learned this the hard way.
- Attach the screws through the pilot holes. When the pointed tip emerges, place the knob over the tip and continuing turning the screw until tight.
- Continue until you have attached all the knobs.
- Hang your shelf according to it’s design. If your shelf was pre-made then hang it according to the attachments that it came with. If you made the shelf out of a wooden board you can drill the shelf directly into the wall. Use a stud-finder to find out if you are drilling into wood or dry wall and then choose your screws and attachments accordingly.