Crafts | Make a Camera Strap Cover
I constantly get stopped on the street and asked the same question, “Where did you get your camera strap?” I have to laugh, because it is probably the easiest project that I have ever made, yet it has attracted the most attention!
With a bit of colorful fabric and very basic sewing skills, you too can have a stop-them-in-their-tracks camera strap!
Materials to Make a Camera Strap Cover
- sturdy fabric (I prefer to use canvas—my strap was made using fabric from Jessica Jones’ collection).
- sewing machine
- existing camera strap
- measuring tape
Instructions to Make a Camera Strap Cover
- Measure your existing camera strap (only the fabric portion, not the leather ends). Add 1 inch to the width, and ¼ ” to the length (for seam allowance), and cut a strip of fabric with these measurements.
- Begin by hemming the short ends of the fabric—do this by folding in the ends ¼ ” and pressing, and then folding over another ¼ ” and pressing. Stitch the seam closed, and this gives you a finished edge. Repeat for the other short end.
- Fold your fabric in half, lengthwise, with right sides facing together. Stitch down the entire length, with ¼” seam allowance. Your fabric should now form a tube.
- Turn your tube right side out, and slide it over your existing camera strap (it is a tight fit, but squeezing the bulky leather piece at the end will help you slip your tube over it).