Apple and Blue Cheese Sandwiches
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 30
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (such as Roquefort or Gorgonzola dolce)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon port wine (optional)
- 1 'Granny Smith' (or other firm, tart apple), peeled and cored, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 pieces (approximately) thinly sliced whole wheat bread (such as Pepperidge Farm "Very Thin" brand)
- 1 cup watercress
Instructions:In a small bowl, combine walnuts, blue cheese, butter, and port (if desired). In a separate, medium-size bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice and olive oil.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of the blue cheese mixture on bread. Arrange 3 or 4 apple slices on top. Arrange a few pieces of watercress on top of apples. Place a second piece of bread on top and gently flatten. Trim crusts; then cut sandwiches diagonally twice, for 4 triangles. Repeat with remaining bread slices.