Asparagus Hummus Served with Dukkah Spiced Pita Chips
- 2 cups fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15-1/2-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and well rinsed
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and return water to boil. Cook about 4 minutes or until asparagus is cooked through and bright green. Drain asparagus and refresh in ice-water bath. After 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
In a food processor, combine chickpeas, garlic, and tahini, and puree. Add zest, juice, and asparagus, and process until smooth. With machine running, pour in olive oil and process until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with spiced pita chips.
Dukkah Spiced Pita Chips
- 1 package pita bread
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
Preheat oven to 375°. Separate each pita bread into two rounds. Brush cut sides with olive oil, then cut into small wedges. Place wedges on a baking sheet; set aside.
Heat a heavy, dry skillet over high heat; add pistachios and toast about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove nuts to a medium mixing bowl. In the same skillet, toast sesame seeds about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add seeds to pistachios. Repeat toasting process with coriander, cumin, and fennel, adding to same bowl. Add peppercorns, dried mint, and salt. Use a mortar and pestle to crush ingredients until they are the size of small bread crumbs (or pulse in a food processor to a dry, coarse consistency -- be careful not to overprocess).
Sprinkle dukkah spice mixture evenly over oiled pita wedges and toast the pita in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.