Cream Cheese and Leek Soup with Ham
Yield: Serves 4-6.
Rich and filling, this Cream Cheese and Leek Soup with Ham rewarms well but should not be brought to the boiling point.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped, or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 large leeks, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken broth or bouillon
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup finely chopped chives
Heat 2-1/2 tablespoons butter in a heavy pan, add spinach and leeks, and cook until soft. Sprinkle in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add chicken broth and cook until thickened. Simmer for 15 minutes. Mash the cream cheese in a bowl, add salt and pepper, and stir in yogurt and egg yolks. Beat until smooth. Carefully stir cheese mixture into the soup and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Sauté the ham in the remaining butter and add to soup. Serve hot, garnished with chives.