Easy Black Bean Soup
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This is a great soup -- zesty, flavorful, and not too "beany." Because it is prepared with canned beans, it is very quickly made. Serve it with sourdough bread for a hearty lunch or supper.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups canned or homemade chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, to garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, to garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream, to garnish
Instructions:In a medium-size saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes with liquid and three-quarters of the beans. Process until smooth. Add to the sauteed onion along with the re-maining black beans, broth, and cumin. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve the soup hot, topping each bowl with a sprinkling of scallions and chopped tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.