Make Scented Pillows | Inspired Ideas
Instructions to Make Scented Pillows
1. First, assemble your materials. At your local fabric store, ask for cotton drill (a durable twill weave). It’s usually priced at about $5 to $10 per yard; one yard can make six pillows.
2. Find a quantity of loose New England balsam, either from local craft sources or for about $3 per pound from Kelco Industries (kelcomaine.com). Another source is Vermont Balsam (vtbalsam.com). Lavender, sage, rose petals, and rosemary are other fragrant filling options.
3. Scour local flea markets for scarves and brooches. One of my favorite spots is Todd Farm in Rowley, Massachusetts, on the North Shore (toddfarm.com).
4. Now it’s time to put it all together. For each pillow, sew a portion of fabric, wrong side out, into a 10-inch square, leaving 1 inch open for the balsam filling.
5. Turn the pillow right side out. Using a kitchen funnel, fill the pillow 90 percent with balsam.
6. Sew the 1-inch gap closed.
7. Wrap the pillow with a scarf and tie a bow.