You Might Be a New Englander If...

Yankee Plus Dec 2015

You Might Be a New Englander If…
Print Friendly

coffee-ice-cream Get our recipe for creamy coffee ice cream.

andre Do you remember Andre the Seal.

lobster-tomally Get expert tips on how to eat a lobster.

top-split hot dog rolls Find out why New Englanders are so passionate about top-split hot dog rolls.

brown-eggs Do you know why we think brown eggs are local eggs?

Special 2 for 1 Holiday Sale

Send a one-year gift subscription of Yankee Magazine for only $17.99 and give a 2nd one-year gift subscription absolutely FREE. Plus, we will send you a FREE 2016 Scenes of New England Calendar (a $9.95 value)!

17 Responses to You Might Be a New Englander If…

1. wally mckenney July 23, 2015 at 6:59 pm #

You need to have Moxie on here!

2. Ed Dimmick July 24, 2015 at 8:09 am #

All but the lobstah one. And I’m still not quite clear on the frappe’ business… :)
    But at UConn, we lived on fluffernutters.

• Erin July 26, 2015 at 9:12 pm #

Milkshakes are usually made with ice cream and syrup mixed with milk. In New England , they are called frappes and milkshakes are made with just milk and syrup.. I’m a New Englander if you couldn’t tell.

3. Richard July 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm #

I hit every one of these. Now I live in the midwest and no one believes me when I tell them some of these. NOW I HAVE PROOF! lol

• carol September 19, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

I agree. My husband both live in the Midwest. He is from WV and I from NH. I Ned to order marshmallow fluff because he thinks fluff is the same as jarred marshmallow ‘ All these are true especially the frappe.

4. Victoria July 24, 2015 at 7:07 pm #

A frappe and a milkshake are the same thing except in New England where a milkshake is shaken milk with no ice cream. It is not frappé though. There is no accent.

And I would nevah eat the green stuff. Gross.

• Sunshine July 26, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

A frappe’ does have ice cream. A milk shake does not. Taken it from a former ice cream parlour owner!!! And a true New Englander!!!! You also forget to put the tonic in there. Soda or pop anywhere else but tonic in New England.

5. Caroline July 25, 2015 at 9:14 am #

All of these except the seal! Yes, I’ve even eaten the green stuff ONCE! Lived in Florida most of my life and many of my friends thought Fluffernutters were a southern thing! I didn’t care where they otiginated! Loved them then and Love them still!

6. Sue Dietrich July 25, 2015 at 9:56 am #

A milk shake has no ice cream. A frappe has ice cream. In Australia, where I live now, a frappe is called a thick shake. And they have no iced coffee or iced tea (the real kind).

7. Meanolddad July 25, 2015 at 10:09 am #

Milkshake, Frappe? In Western Mass., we called ’em “Frosts”. And our submarine sandwiches were called “Grinders”.

• carol September 19, 2015 at 2:15 pm #

Oh yes I forgot about the grinders.

8. Linda July 25, 2015 at 6:24 pm #

Tomalley is the caviar of the Lobster.

9. cherie July 26, 2015 at 1:21 am #

Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh!!!

10. Donna August 4, 2015 at 6:04 pm #

Saturday is beans & hotdog day!

• jeanie August 9, 2015 at 2:35 am #

…and Wednesday is Prince spagetti Day !

• carol September 19, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

Yes with the brown bread in the can

11. jeanie August 9, 2015 at 2:42 am #

The frappes I grew up with were thick and creamy and smooth. You could drink them through a straw. I think I remember them being made with light cream…at the fountain of a neighborhod phrarmacy…late 1950’s..I want to make on right now