Make Your Own Cleaning Supplies
4. Clean vinyl shower curtains without taking them down by wiping them with a sponge dampened with white vinegar.
5. Clean windows with a mixture of 1 part white vinegar and 10 parts warm water.
6. Give your washing machine an annual cleaning by filling it with hot water, adding a quart of white vinegar, and running the machine through the wash and rinse cycles.
7. If a closet smells musty, wash it thoroughly (walls, floor, and ceiling) with a mixture of 1 cup ammonia, 1 cup white vinegar, and 1/4 cup baking soda in a gallon of warm water. Repeat if needed.
8. To bring out the color in a rug, dip a broom in a mixture of 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 gallon of water, then brush the rug with the broom. No need to rinse.
9. To clean a stainless-steel pan, first rinse it with white vinegar inside and out. Then shake on enough salt to cover. Rub lightly. This cleans the pan and keeps it shiny.
10. To clean gummed-up holes in a steam iron, mix well 1/3 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon baking soda. Pour this into the iron and heat just until iron begins to steam. Turn off iron and empty. Fill and empty twice with warm water to rinse.
11. To clean ironwork before painting, apply a coat of white vinegar and let it dry. The mixture will evaporate, so you don’t need to rinse it off.
12. To clean leather, rub on a solution of equal parts white vinegar and boiled linseed oil. Wipe off any excess with a clean rag.
13. To clean salt marks off boots and shoes, try a mixture of 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts water.