Homemade Silver Cleaner | Polish Silver without Harsh Chemicals
Earl Proulx had a simple solution for practically everything — including household chores. His instructions to make a homemade silver cleaner that uses the electrolytic method is easy, uses common household staples, and doesn’t require gloves or messy chemicals.
Ingredients for Homemade Silver Cleaner:
- 1 quart of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 1 sheet of aluminum foil
- non-aluminum dish
Instructions for Making Homemade Silver Cleaner:
- Line bottom of non-aluminum dish with a sheet of aluminum foil
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda into a quart of hot water
- Soak for a half hour — time may vary depending on degree of tarnish
- Buff with clean, dry cloth
The subject: a heavily tarnished spoon
The process: soak tarnished silver in a water/baking-soda bath .
The result: a spoon free of tarnish
NOTE: Do not use this method for cleaning silver on pieces that have a raised design or on cemented pieces.
Read more of Earl’s dos and don’ts of polishing silver and other household tasks at: YankeeMagazine.com/home