Moose in Maine: Do You Know Where to Find Them?
Courtesy of Moosehead Lake Region Chamber of Commerce, Greenville, ME. 888-876-2778, 207-695-2702; www.mooseheadlake.org
1. Take a scenic drive to Kokadjo, a small community north of Greenville. Stay on Lily Bay Road for approximately 20 miles and keep your eyes open for moose along the way.
2. If you’ve gotten to Kokadjo and still haven’t had your fill of moose sightings, head to Lazy Tom Bog, just past Kokadjo. This bog is very popular with local moose.
3. Make a day of your moose watching by driving to Rockwood, a town north of Greenville on Route 15, where you can head over to Mt. Kineo by boat shuttle for some hiking or exploring.
4. Turn left on Depot Street from Greenville Junction to Shirley Mills. Go right in Shirley, through town onto the dirt road toward The Forks. This road may not be passable during winter and spring.
5. Take Route 15 South and look for moose between the upper and lower Shirley turn-offs in the bog area.