Crafts | How to Decoupage a Collage onto Blocks
Learn how to decoupage a collage onto wooden, craft blocks with images and words. This cute craft is assembled in a similar method to the way you would create a collage on paper. When completed, collage blocks can be lined up or stacked on a shelf They also make great centerpieces, bookends and paper weights.
Materials to Decoupage Craft Blocks:
- Plain wood blocks–the size is up to you
- Fine sandpaper
- Paper ephemera– can include anything from images and words cut from magazines, pages from an old book, used postage stamps, recycled cards, wrapping paper, scrapbook papers or patterned papers
- Mod Podge
- Small paintbrush
Directions to Decoupage Craft Blocks:
- Lightly sand the wooden blocks to smooth any splintered or rough areas.
- Cut squares from an old text to fit onto the sides of your blocks. (I used pages from a vintage medical book, but songs books and foreign language books also work well. You can use patterned papers if you do not have book pages. )
- Use a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the paper squares and then apply the squares to the sides of your blocks. It is up to you whether you attach paper squares to all 6 sides of the blocks. I only attach them to 5 sides so that the blocks “sit” on the unadorned side.
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the paper squares once they have been placed on the blocks. Smooth out any bumps as you do this. The Mod Podge helps to seal the image onto the wood.
- From this point forward attach images and words onto the sides of the blocks as desired.
- When you have attached all your images, use your paintbrush to apply a final coat of Mod Podge over your blocks to seal all the images onto the blocks.
- Allow blocks to dry.
Decorative collage blocks can be created in holiday themes, to fit a child’s bedroom theme or decor, as well as for gifts. The blocks I used cost 1$ each which made this project an inexpensive one. All the paper used in this project came from recycled magazines and one vintage text.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.