Valentine's Day Crafts | Pocket Valentines
Pocket Valentines are small but sturdy cardboard pockets that are decorated for Valentine’s Day and then filled with treats. The pockets are simple to create, so if you are looking for a last minute Valentine’s Day project, this is the one! The pockets are small enough to fit in a card-sized envelope as well as perfect-sized for staff mailboxes, party favors, and small gift giving. You can also use the pockets for utensils at a dinner setting. If you plan on leaving Valentine’s Day surprises at a loved one’s house, punch 2 holes at the top of the pocket to attach a ribbon for a handle– this way you can hang them on a doorknob.
Materials needed to make Pocket Valentines:
- Cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls
- Decorative scrapbook paper
- Washi tape (washi tape is found at craft stores–it is a thin tape,similar to masking tape, but decorated in various colors and patterns)
- Ribbon trim
- Regular scissors
- Scalloped edge scissors (optional)
- Small treats to fill the pockets such as candies, pencils, postage stamps, chocolates, concert or event tickets, etc.
Directions for making Pocket Valentines:
- Flatten the paper towel tubes.
- Cut the flattened tubes into sections about 4″ long. These will now be referred to as “pockets”.
- Use one piece of washi tape to seal the bottom edge of each pocket. Then wrap another strip of washi tape along the same edge of the pocket to make a sturdy and clean edge.
- Trim scrapbook papers to size, to wrap around the pockets. The paper is meant to cover the remainder of the cardboard (and is meant to border the washi tape along the bottom of the pocket). Use scalloped edged scissors if you want to add extra detail to the paper.
- Glue the paper in place.
- Decorate the pockets with extra trim. I used leftover pieces of scalloped paper, washi tape, and ribbons for trim.
- Allow the pocket valentines to dry.
- Fill the pockets with treats.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.