Baked Stuffed Cucumbers
Yield: Serves 4
Cucumbers stuffed with lemon-flavored rice and Parmesan cheese are briefly baked to give the flesh a crisp-tender consistency. Serve them hot with grilled Italian sausage.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions, white and green portion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- l;4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Generously butter a shallow baking dish. Remove the seeds from the cucumbers by scooping them out with a metal spoon or butter curler. Place the halves, cut side down, on absorbent paper.
2. Melt the butter in a small skillet and add the onions, stirring over medium heat until tender. Stir in the cooked rice, Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from the heat.
3. Whisk together the egg yolk and lemon juice. Pour over the rice mixture and stir to blend well. Spoon into the cucumber cavities, then sprinkle the tops with Gruyère cheese. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cucumbers are slightly softened and the tops are nicely browned.