basic white rice
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter , vegetable or olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice (not converted)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 3 minutes, depending on desired amount of nutty flavor. Add water and salt; bring to boil, swirling pot to blend ingredients.
2. Reduce heat to low, cover with tight lid lined with a towel, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minute
3. Turn off heat; let rice stand on burner, still covered, to finish cooking, about 15 minutes longer. Fluff with fork and serve.