Bean Sprouts with Celery and Mushrooms
Bean sprouts combine with stir-fried celery and mushrooms to create this wonderful Oriental-style vegetable side dish.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- Several drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 ribs celery, sliced diagonally
- 8 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges and separated into layers
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 pound mung bean or soybean sprouts, rinsed and picked over
Instructions:1 . In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and Madeira and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Blend in the chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and Tabasco. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet Add the celery, mushrooms, and ginger and toss to coat. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds. Add the onion, red bell pepper, and bean sprouts and continue stirring. (If the vegetables begin to stick to the pan, sprinkle on 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.)
3. When the bean sprouts are slightly wilted, pour on the chicken broth mixture and stir over high heat until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Serve immediately.