Beef Stroganoff a la Penguin
Yield: 4 or 5 regular portions, 2 generous ones
Since then, it's become an easy staple.
As such, amounts indicated are approximate, and can be slightly varied to taste and texture.
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut 1/4 by 1 inch
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 generous tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1-1-1/2 cups milk (little less for thicker sauce)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced or finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Medium handful fresh mushrooms, sliced or 1 small can mushrooms, drained
- black pepper
- 1 package egg noodles
Instructions:In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and garlic on medium-low heat. Drain, return to pan at same heat with butter and mushrooms. Once mushrooms look done, chop cream cheese into smaller pieces and add, stirring as it melts a bit. Add yogurt, spices*, milk, and stir.
Once everything looks smooth, turn sauce heat to low, cook noodles in salted water, drain, and stir into the mix. Simmer to let the flavors steep, then serve hot.
*Spicing is to taste. I use a small dash of paprika, a heavy dash or two of pepper, and just a little dried parsley.