Best Oatmeal Cookies
- * 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1 teaspoon baking soda
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- * 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- * 2 large eggs
- * 2 tablespoons milk
- * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- * 2 1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- * 2 cups chocolate chips
- * 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional - I never use them)
Instructions:PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. (I find this is a key step too. I put it in my Kitchenaid mixer and start it going and then let it go and go while I sort out the rest of the ingredients. The longer the better.) Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats, morsels and nuts; mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets - line with parchment paper for best results.
BAKE for 9 to 10 minutes. Take them out when they look slightly underdone (but not raw in the middle) and then make sure you cool on baking sheets for 1 minute or even longer, they will finish cooking nicely this way. Then remove to wire racks and trust me, they won't last long.