best sugar cookie recipe
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch table salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons light cream (I used half and half)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 TBS unsalted butter, softened
- 4 TBS shortening (I use smart balance)
preheat oven to 350 line cookie sheets with parchement paper or silicone
Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix yolks,
cream, and vanilla together in a measuring cup.
3. Cream sugar with butter and shortening until lightened and pasty. Beat
yolk mixture into creamed butter until just combined.
4. Add dry ingredients and beat until mixture begins to clump together
(about 18 to 20 seconds on lowest speed of electric mixer).
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently to shape
into a soft dough.
Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll to about 1/8-inch thick, on a
well-floured work surface. Use cookie cutter of your choice to cut out
shapes. Using a spatula, transfer cut-outs to prepared baking sheet, placing
them about 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 degrees until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer to a wire rack and cool to room