Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Total Time: 15
Yield: about 1-3/4 cups dressing
In 1954 a pair of young Nebraskans headed west to open a 120-acre dude ranch near Santa Barbara, California. They called it Hidden Valley Ranch. Steve and Gayle Henson welcomed visitors for hiking, horseback riding, and fishing and served hearty American fare at night. Their homemade buttermilk salad dressing became so popular that guests began buying it by the bottle--and thus the ranch dressing craze was born. This is our take on the classic recipe.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 1 week.