Butternut-Citrus Soup with Bay Scallops & Mushrooms
Total Time: 40
Yield: 10-12 servings
The McClellands' holiday menu changes from year to year, but Thanksgiving always begins with a big pot of something seasonal and delicious. Here, a Butternut Citrus Soup -- a rich squash soup -- is poured around a small serving of sweet scallops and earthy mushrooms.
Read more about the Perfect Holiday Meal.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 3 pounds butternut squash (about two medium-large squashes), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium-size onions (about 1-1/2 pounds total), diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger a
- 2 teaspoons kosher, sea, or table salt, plus extra to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauteed Scallops & Mushrooms (see recipe below)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and tarragon
Instructions:In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Add squash, onions, garlic, ginger, salt, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, until onions soften and appear translucent, 6-8 minutes. Add stock (or broth), wine, cider, lime juice, and brown sugar. Stir, then cover the pot; reduce heat to medium-low, and let mixture simmer until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream and Parmesan.
Using a standing or immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (If using a standing blender, work in batches.) Pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer to remove lumps. Taste and add more salt if you like.
To serve, arrange an equal portion of Sauteed Scallops & Mushrooms in the center of each bowl and pour soup around it. Garnish with a pinch of fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
Sauteed Scallops & Mushrooms
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1 leek
- 1/3 pound wild mushrooms (preferably Black Forest [shiitake] or chanterelles)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher, sea, or table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:Rinse scallops in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Put in a bowl and refrigerate, uncovered.
Trim roots and green top of leek and discard. Slice remaining white part in half lengthwise and rinse thoroughly, then mince. Clean and trim mushrooms, then cut into strips about ¼-inch wide and 2 inches long.
In a large (14-inch) skillet over medium-high heat, warm butter and olive oil. When butter begins to brown, add leek and mushrooms. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, until mushrooms begin to brown at the edges, about 6 minutes. Meanwhile, remove scallops from refrigerator and pat dry once more. Add scallops and garlic to the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring often, until scallops are just translucent in the center, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.