9 Responses to Canning Okra for Frying

1. Barbie May 9, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

If I understand right. You dont actually can them? Just pour the warm in and they seal themselves. Sorry I’m new at canning and need help. :-)

• Nadine W. Martin June 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

No it has to be real HOT you want to make sure that it seal if not sealed it will go bad. I have never heard of leaving stuff upside down for two days you don’t know if it has sealed right away. I have been doing canning for 50 plus years. Just be careful if you do this. Have a nice day Barbie..

2. Sandy Dickerson June 29, 2013 at 12:02 am #

How do you can okra to fry an it taste like fresh

3. Wini Brady October 7, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I am going to try this tonight. I may only do a 1/2 portion to be on the safe side. Turning the jars upside down is a old timers trick to make sure the seals get hot. Leaving them upside down 2 days is to check the seal and know which if any jars a leaking.

4. joyce crumpton May 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

I want to know if this will keep for 6mo. to 1year. the recipe is not really clear. do I put th okra in the water?

• Brenda Darroch May 21, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Hi Joyce,
      This recipe was submitted by a reader and has not been tested by our editors.

5. Karen July 2, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

This is not a safe canning recipe for room-temperature storage of okra. There is not enough acid in the liquid to prevent spoilage, and correct sealing of canned items with correct amounts of acid requires water-bath canning.

6. Tammy July 26, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

I have done this the past couple of years, I have not had any problem with mine, I finished the last jar of 2013 a couple months ago. It was great! Like the taste better than when just picked and fried.

7. Hollie August 22, 2014 at 11:55 pm #

Ok… if you have done this please chime in! after storing the okra this way … does the water turn a little cloudy in a couple of days? I did this.. the seals “popped and sealed within a few minutes… how do I know how long to keep it..and what does the cloudiness mean? thanks