Carrot and Date Squares
Yield: Makes 2 dozen
These tasty squares provide a healthful snack or lunch-box dessert. They are also delicious when served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 to 3 carrots)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dates
Instructions:1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Generously grease an 11x7-inch baking dish. Place the water and butter in a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, soda, and salt. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and whisk to blend thoroughly. Gradually stir in the water and melted butter. Then add the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Blend well.
3. Stir in the carrots and dates and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool briefly on a rack and serve warm, or cool completely and cut into squares. (Dust the cooled squares with sifted confectioners' sugar, if desired.)