Chevre and Leek Tart
Total Time: 40
Yield: 12 servings
Flavorful leeks and creamy goat cheese combine in this attractive savory tart.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2-1/2 cups sliced leeks, white and light-green parts only, well rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces plain chèvre (fresh goat cheese), at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon water
- Savory Piecrust (see accompanying recipe)
Instructions:Preheat oven to 375°. In a medium-size bowl, toss leeks with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
In a separate medium-size bowl, stir together chèvre, cream cheese, milk, 2 egg yolks, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
In a separate small bowl, beat remaining egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water and set aside.
Roll out Savory Piecrust dough into a round 12 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick. Spread chèvre mixture over dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with leeks.
Fold edges of dough over filling. Brush with egg wash. Bake until crust turns golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup ice water (approximately)
Instructions:In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour and salt until well combined. Sprinkle butter over flour mixture and use your fingers to work it in (rub your thumb against your fingertips, smearing the butter as you do). Stop when the mixture looks like cornmeal, with some pea-sized bits of butter remaining.
Sprinkle ice water on top and stir with a fork until dough begins to come together. If needed, add more ice water, a tablespoon at a time. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead three times, or just enough to make a cohesive dough don't overmix! Gather into a ball; then press into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.