Yield: 6 servings
A curry recipe RICH in flavor, which improves with age. Given to me by my friend John.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 tbs. veg. oil
- 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 tbs. finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbs finely chopped garlic (you can substitute 1 tbs. ginger-garlic paste (total) for these two if you have it)
- 3 lbs. raw boneless chicken in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbs. Madras Curry paste
- 2 tbs. Mild Curry paste
- 3 med. tomatoes diced or 1 large can diced tomatoes
Heat oil to near smoking point in skillet or wok. Toss in mustard seeds and cover immediately--they pop! When popping stops, toss in curry leaves and cover again--they sizzle like crazy. When the sizzling stops add chopped onion and sauté until edges just begin to turn golden. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute or two (if you use ginger garlic paste, it, too, can sizzle like mad, so keep the cover handy). Add cubed chicken and stir a few times. Add both curry pastes and stir to coat chicken pieces. Add diced tomato and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until tomatoes break down completely and chicken is thoroughly cooked, 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning--you can add more of either curry paste at this point, depending on flavor. Uncover and reduce sauce to preferred consistency. Serve with white rice.