- 1 cup cooked chickpeas ( i used one can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves , pressed or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- to taste olive oil , for pan frying
Instructions:Mash the chickpeas and oil together until no whole chickpeas remain. (i carefully pulsed them in my food processor til they were chunky and crumbly) Add remaining ingredients and knead for 3 minutes until strings of gluten have formed. Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Divide dough into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece and stretch to roughly 4" x 6" Add a thin layer of olive oil to to the pan. Place cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minute They are ready when lightly brown and firm to the touch.
they suggest a mustard sauce to make to serve with these, but i just made a tasty vegan brown gravy my family likes. i think they would be good with a variety of sauces.