Chilled Asparagus Spread
Yield: Serves 8
Offer this pale green, subtly flavored spread with crisp wheat crackers or tortilla wedges that have been heated under the broiler until crisp.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 green onions, white and green portion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small package (3 ounces) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Several drops Tabasco sauce
- Lemon zest strips for garnish
Instructions:1. Heat the water and butter in a large skillet. When the butter is melted, add the asparagus and onions and bring to a boil. Sprinkle on the thyme and salt. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Cook at a gentle bubble for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and stir the asparagus over high heat until all the moisture is evaporated.
2. Combine the cream cheese and sour cream in the container of a blender or processor. Add the asparagus mixture, lemon juice, and Tabasco. Whirl until smooth then transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Garnish with strips of lemon zest.