1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three heart-shaped baking pans or
three 9-inch round baking pans. **
2. Beat egg whites in small bowl until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar,
beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Stir together flour, remaining 1
cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add oil, buttermilk
and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour
about 1-2/3 cups batter into each prepared pan.
3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in
center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Bake remaining layer
if necessary. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely
4. Prepare CREAM FILLING. Place 1 layer on serving plate; pipe or spoon
1-inch border 1/2 inch thick around outer edge of layer. Spread half of pie
filling in center. Top with second cake layer. Spread layer with half of
remaining CREAM FILLING. Top with third layer. Spoon remaining pie filling
on top of cake to within 1 inch of edge.
5. Prepare CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM; frost sides of cake. Pipe top edge with
remaining CREAM FILLING. Refrigerate until serving time. Cover; store
leftover torte in refrigerator. 8 to 10 servings.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
** If only two pans are available, reserve remaining batter in refrigerator
for the third layer while first 2 layers bake.
CREAM FILLING: In bowl, combine 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream with 2
tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat until stiff.
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM: In bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup HERSHEY
S Cocoa. Add 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla
extract; beat on low speed to blend. Beat on high speed until stiff.
This recipe was submitted by one of our readers and has not been tested by our food editors. We are not responsible for errors in this recipe, but if you find one, please let us know.