Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Yield: 48 cookies
This recipe for Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies comes from the Benjamin Prescott Inn, Jaffrey, NH.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries (about 48), with juice reserved
- 1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In another mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat well.
Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; beat until well blended. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie.
In a small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, and sweetened condensed milk; heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry. Frosting may be thinned with additional juice, if necessary. Bake about 10 minutes, or until done. Remove to wire racks and let cool.