Corned Beef (or Red-Flannel) Hash
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- 6 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (about 1 pound) chopped, cooked corned beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Instructions:Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place potatoes into a large saucepan, and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain and reserve the potatoes.
Heat the butter or oil in a large cast-iron skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium heat for 7 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and corned beef. Add salt and pepper to taste, then mash the mixture down gently -- not too much -- with a potato masher or fork. Sprinkle the cream over the top. Leave on the heat for another minute or two, then transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.