Cranberry-Gorgonzola Tart on Savory Walnut Shortbread Crust
Total Time: 35
Yield: 10 servings
This Cranberry-Gorgonzola Tart on Savory Walnut Shortbread Crust makes a great first course, served with a simple salad.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup cherry or strawberry preserves
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Kirsch or other cherry brandy or liqueur
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola dolce or other blue cheese, softened
- Garnish: fresh whole sage leaves and walnut halves
Instructions:Heat oven to 300°. Place walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until ground, making sure not to overprocess into a paste. Add flour, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, and sage and pulse to incorporate. Add butter and pulse to form a coarse meal, about 30 seconds. Press dough into an ungreased 10-inch springform pan (or an 11x8-inch tart pan with removable bottom). Bake until light golden brown, about 55 minutes. Cool completely, then release from pan.
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook preserves until melted. Add cranberries, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and cherry brandy. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook until cranberries have lost their shape, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
Spread Gorgonzola over tart crust in a thin, even layer. Top with a thin layer of the cooked cranberry mixture. Garnish with sage and walnut pieces. Divide into 10 even slices.