Double-Crusted Lemon Pie
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.
This superb lemon pie is smooth and light, with just the right hint of tartness.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup tap water
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Pastry for a doublecrust 9-inch pie (see Elaine's Pie Crust above)
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons Crisco, to brush top crust
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons milk, to brush crust
- Sprinkling of flour; to brush top crust
In a medium saucepan, blend cornstarch and tap water. Add boiling water and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Add sugar, lemon rind, and butter. Cool. Stir in eggs and lemon juice (lemons vary in size and juiciness; don't skimp). Turn into unbaked pie shell. Cover with top crust spread with Crisco, milk, and a sprinkling of flour. Make vents. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes, then at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.