Easy Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet
Total Time: 25
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package smoked sausage, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped medium-size
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, divided
- Fresh thyme sprigs
Instructions:Preheat oven to 300°. Sprinkle chicken all over with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown meat in 2 tablespoons olive oil, about 5 minutes.
Turn and brown other side, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add sausage to skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil and sprinkle with 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
Bake, covered, 2 hours. Then uncover and sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake 20 minutes longer, or until cassoulet is golden.
Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with thyme sprigs.