Yield: Makes 12 to 15 good-sized pieces.
A sumptuous cake? Only an angel could resist such temptation.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, dissolved in 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa, stirred into 1/3 cup cold water
- 2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- Emily's Icing (recipe follows)
Instructions:Combine soda and 1/3 cup water and set aside. Cream butter with 1 cup sugar and beat until fluffy. Blend in salt and vanilla. Add mixture of cocoa and water. Scrape bowl and beaters and mix until cocoa is well blended. Add cake flour alternately with 1 cup cold water; blend in a meringue of the egg whites and remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Add mixture of soda and water and mix well. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round layer pans, or one 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool, and frost with Emily's Icing.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspooon salt
- 1/3 cup milk