Yield: 6 servings
This fish chowder recipe is authentic New England fare, and may call to mind the version Grandma used to make. Thicken the old fashioned way -- with saltine crackers.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/4 pound lean salt pork, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds fresh fish fillets (haddock)
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Fry salt pork in frying pan until golden, then add onion. Continue frying until softened and translucent.
2. Transfer onions to soup pot and add potatoes and 3 quarts of water. Bring liquid to a fast simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Add fish and continue cooking until fish falls apart into flakes and potatoes are soft. Add evaporated milk, heat thoroughly, then add salt and pepper to taste. Add butter and serve as soon as butter has melted.