Fresh Corn Relish
Yield: Serves 12
Lively with spices, this quick and easy corn relish is wonderful spooned atop grilled hamburgers.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, green and white portion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Drop the corn into a large pot of boiling water. Partially cover the pot and cook at a gentle bubble for 3 minutes or until the kernels are crisp-tender. Remove from the pot and drain in a colander. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs.
2. Meanwhile, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt 10 a large saucepan. Stir in the celery seed, mustard seed, turmenc, and Tabasco. Stir in the green and red bell peppers and onions. Bring to a gentle bubble and cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the corn and cilantro and increase the heat. Cook, stirring, until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.