Fresh Corn Relish
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Lively with spices, this quick and easy corn relish is wonderful spooned atop grilled hamburgers.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, green and white portion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Drop the corn into a large pot of boiling water. Partially cover the pot and cook at a gentle bubble for 3 minutes or until the kernels are crisp-tender. Remove from the pot and drain in a colander. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs.
2. Meanwhile, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt 10 a large saucepan. Stir in the celery seed, mustard seed, turmenc, and Tabasco. Stir in the green and red bell peppers and onions. Bring to a gentle bubble and cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the corn and cilantro and increase the heat. Cook, stirring, until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.